Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Don't stop, don't call

"Medic Sixtynine, respond to reports of an accident with possible injuries, Goofball Highway at Old Booger Hill Road.  Passerby advises there are 4 cars involved, unsure of any injuries."

Great.  This call sounds F-U-N.  And it's raining.  And Old Booger Hill Road crosses Goofball Highway at least 4 separate times within 6 miles.  In two distinct fire districts, covered by three different engine companies.

Lets run down why this call sucks:

1. Day after a holiday, at 8:30am.
2. In the rain
3. An unknown location
4. Some cellphone warrior was worried enough to call, but not enough to stop, and actually roll down the damned window and shout "Hey, y'all'rite?"
5. I haven't had my breakfast yet
6. I haven't had my nap yet
7 I haven't even put on my socks yet

We literally drive in circles looking for this wreck.  This cellphone warrior was kind enough to call 911, but couldn't give a description of the cars.  Fan-freaking-tastic.

We find a wreck.  A red SUV and a white Ram Truck. 

Not the wreck.  Fire says it "uppathattaway" about half a mile. 

Dark SUV, grey BMW, white sedan. 

Wrong wreck.  Turn around again, check another intersection of Goofball Highway and Old Booger Hill.

Find a wreck.  PD is on scene.  Eating a biscuit in his car.  (I am NOT kidding.)

"Hey, where y'all been?  We been waitin' on y'all for a while now."

"Shut up, Munch*.  Who's hurt?"

"Oh, ain't nobody hurt.  I done cancelled y'all 'bout five minutes ago."

I hate cellphone warriors.  And missing breakfast.

I put my socks on, and go in service.

No comments:

Post a Comment