Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Take the bag!

My service has a policy which requires the crew to take in the stretcher, cardiac monitor, and jump bag to every patient.  I have been in the habit of taking said equipment in, even without a written policy. 

While taking a cardiac monitor in to a 10 year old with a twisted ankle may be a little over kill, that's what the bosses want, so we do it.  Or at least I do.

It's also a good practice.  Seriously, what are you going to do for a patient who accidentally stabbed himself in the femoral artery with a turkey baster right before Thanksgiving dinner, and now there is blood squirting every which way, in the squash casserole, and all over the turkey, and the mashed potatoes, and your jump bag is 30 yards away in the ambulance?  And when that call happens (and we all know it will happen, to someone), you just know there is going to be a doctor/nurse/paramedic/personal-injury lawyer watching your big, fat, screw-up.

"Ma'am, can I borrow a towel from you since I'm too lazy to bring in my equipment?"

Take in the damned bag.  Take in the damned monitor.  Put it on the effing stretcher so your lazy ass doesn't hurt your lazy back carrying it.

I hate lazy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment