Thursday, September 8, 2011

On criticism

Recently, a co-worker of mine responded to an accident with possible injuries, which blossomed into an MCI with 4 patients, with 2 possibly critical.  While I wasn't there, and won't comment on the assessment or treatment of any of the patients, it's what happened after the call which is interesting.

One of the supposed (and I use the word "supposed" because there seems to be some debate about the actual status of the patient) critical patients, was a young female adult, with left-sided abdominal pain, and a mechanism which lead to a high index of suspicion for a bleeding spleen. 

The first medic on scene reportedly (by all parties involved) had two patients immobilized onto long backboards when the second crew arrived.  The point of contention seems to be what happened next. 

Instead of the second unit leaving rapidly, the crew members elected to remain on scene for (at least) an additional 8 minutes prior to departing to the hospital.  They performed a thorough assessment, and attempted IV access twice, without success.  The medic member of the crew did not suspect a lacerated or bleeding spleen.  While I do not know that particular medic very well, there is nothing I have seen for me to even remotely question his assessments. 

The first medic then subsequently immobilized two more patients, and departed for the hospital, arriving prior to the second unit.  When questioned about what "took so long" to get to the hospital, the EMT member of the second crew stated "we were doing a thorough assessment and trying for IVs."

Instead of objectively stating the findings of his detailed assessment, the EMT with 18 months of experience told the medic with 18 years to "mind your own business." 

One caveat here.  I fully believe in the assessment powers of my coworkers.  I have worked with many of them, and would freely put my life, or the life of my loved ones in their hands.  I always try to avoid criticizing the treatments or interventions performed by others. 

About 12 hours later, the EMT decided to insinuate on a social networking site that the first medic on scene was behaving in a "the sky is falling" manner.  This led to a long thread of comments, from no fewer than 6 people, on the merits of the call.  None of the interventions were called into question.  What was called into question was the professionalism of gossip. 

I could go on, but won't.  Mostly because this is not the place for such a discussion, and partly out of respect to all parties involved, in an effort to minimize the gossip and negative comments. 

What I have learned from events surrounding this call:

1.  When approached by a colleague, regardless of certification level, or experience, it's always best to listen with objective ears, in an effort to learn something. 
2.  Discussing a coworker behind their back, whether good, or bad, will always result in that employee finding out what you have said.  This is a small community, as referenced in my state, which has been licensing paramedics for 35+ years, with only 12,000 or so reaching certification, with a population approaching 10 million.
3.  If you are going to talk about a coworker behind their back, there must be a willingness to accept the ramifications of your actions.
4.  Everyone respects the patch, and everyone needs to respect the person wearing the patch. 
5.  Social networking sites may not be the best place for work-related discussions.
6.  Just because it says "Paramedic" on my patch doesn't mean that I can't learn from an EMT.

I have not lost any respect for either one of my coworkers, but have learned an invaluable lesson regarding my professional relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment